Do you know?
1. India's Mithali Raj and Jhulan Goswami are the only two women cricketers to have played 200 ODI matches..
2. India's ODI skipper Mithali Raj broke the record for most matches captained in the ICC Women's World Cup (24).
3. Mithali is only the third cricketer and the first woman to appear in six World Cups, joining the iconic Sachin Tendulkar and Pakistani great Javed Miandad..
4. Rishabh Pant scored the fastest test match fifty by any Indian batsmen off just 28 balls. .
5. Jhulan Goswami broke the record for most wickets at the Women's World Cups (40).
6. ICC Women's ODI World Cup will be held in New Zealand from 4 March till 3 April 2022..
7. After Virat Kohli, Rohit 'THE HITMAN' Sharma was appointed as the new skipper of the Indian ODI and t20 Cricket Team..
8. Rahul Dravid, on November 3, was announced as the new Team India head coach, till 2023 Cricket World Cup..
9. On 11th January 2022, Virat Kohli stepped down as the captain of the Indian Test Cricket Team..
10. Shoaib Akhtar was the first bowler to break the 100mph barrier..
11. 86,174 people came to watch the AUS Women vs IND Women Final 2019/20—the most attended women’s cricket match in history..
12. Virat Kohli is the highest all-time run-scorer in the IPL, with 6,283 runs scored..
13. Australia has won a total of 136 test matches in The Ashes..
14. The record for playing the most number of Tests straight after debut (96) is held by Adam Gilchrist.
15. Dhaka’s Sher-e-Bangla stadium has hosted more ODIs than Lord’s..
16. Sanath Jayasuriya has more ODI wickets than Shane Warne..
17. Australia’s Allan Border has played 153 consecutive Test matches..
18. Kenyan player Asif Kareem has played international cricket and Davis Cup (tennis) for his country..
19. Herschelle Gibbs had hit six sixes in an over against Holland in the one-day match of the 2007 World Cup..
20. Sourav Ganguly is the only cricketer to win the Man of the Match award four times in 4 matches, consecutively..
21. Virender Sehwag’s highest score is 119 (IPL), 219, and 319 in the respectively T.20, O.D.I and the Test match..
22. Kenya player, Hitesh Modi, and umpire, Subhash Modi became the first father-son duo to feature in an official ODI match back in 2001..
23. Wilfred Rhodes played for Yorkshire and the left-arm bowler took 4204 wickets in 1110 matches..
24. Jack Hobbs scored 199 FC centuries playing for Surrey in the early 19th century. .
25. VVS Laxman is the only Indian player to have played more than 100 test matches but not a single World cup match!.
26. Very few know that Kapil Dev bowled 30.3 over on trot in an innings. .
27. Don Bradman has the most number of double centuries (12) while Kumar Sangakkara has 11..
28. The longest surname of a cricketer is Fiji’s, IL Bula. His full name is Ilikena Lasarusa Talebulamaineiilikenamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau..
29. Dirk Nannes has represented both Australia and Holland in international cricket..
30. The England team is the only team to have played over 1000 test matches..
31. Muttiah Muralitharan has taken the most Test wickets (800) and the most ODI wickets (534).
32. Chris Gayle is the only batsman to have smashed a six from the first ball of a test match.
33. William Gilbert (W.G.) Grace is considered the father of cricket.
34. Srilankan cricketer Mahela Jayawardene is the only cricketer to score a century in the Semi-Final and Final of a World Cup..
35. Alec Stewart’s Date of Birth is 8-4-63 and his Test runs score is 8463..
36. The oldest player to appear in a Test Match is Wilfred Rhodes(52 years)..
37. Ravi Shastri, ML Jaisimha, and Cheteshwar Pujara are the only Indian batsmen who batted on all five days of a Test..
38. Lala Amarnath happens to be the only bowler to get Australian legend Don Bradman out of hit-wicket..
39. Saif Ali Khan’s grandfather, Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi played test cricket for both India and England..
40. Sachin Tendulkar’s test match average is less than that of Vinod Kambli..
41. The Indian player with the most number of T20 international runs is Mithali Raj..
42. India is the only country to win the 60-over World Cup 1983, 50-over World Cup 2011, and the 20-over World Cup 2007..
43. Pitch is always a rectangular area of 22 yards (20.12m) The only law which has not changed in cricket history is the length of the pitch..
44. In the entire history of recorded Cricket, only four players have played on all ten batting positions for a team; Lance Klusener, Abdur Razzaq, Shoaib Malik, and Hashan Tillakaratne..
45. Glenn McGrath picked up a wicket off his last ball in Test, ODI as well as the T20I. He is the only bowler to achieve this feat..
46. Kapil Dev has not missed a single international match due to injury.
47. Virat Kohli has taken a wicket off the "0th" ball of his career. .
48. In a Test match between Sri Lanka and West Indies in 2001, another history was made. On that day it took 3 bowlers to complete 1 single over..
49. Sir Vivian Richards is the only man in the world who played both World Cups of Cricket and Football.
50. Bapu Nadkarni bowled 21 maiden overs one after the other, in 1964 against England..
51. The first-ever cricket match was played between the USA and Canada in September of 1844.
52. The only batsman to have remained not out on 299 in the history of Cricket is Sir Don Bradman..
53. Belinda Clark was the first to hit 200 runs in ODI against Denmark in the 1997 Women’s World Cup.
54. Sachin was the first cricketer in the world to be dismissed by the 3rd Umpire.
55. Sunil Gavaskar, Sourav Ganguly, and VVS Laxman scored double centuries in the 99th test cricket match of their career..
56. Muralitharan and Jayawardene are the most successful bowler-fielder pair in Test cricket. Together they took 77 wickets in test cricket..
57. Sachin Tendulkar, Salil Ankola, Shahid Saeed, and Waqar Younis all three made their debut together..
58. Major League Baseball umpires are required to wear black underwear while on the job in case they split their pants..
1. Cristiano Ronaldo has scored most number of hat-tricks in the history of the game (59)..
2. Cristiano Ronaldo holds the record for most number of goals in Football's history (807 goals.).
3. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang moved from Arsenal to Barcelona..
4. The first-ever indoor WC match took place in the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit, Michigan in 1994..
5. The biggest scoreline in the history of World Cup qualifiers, and the history of international soccer is 31-0..
6. Asmir Begovic, a goalkeeper scored 100 yards away from the goal in 2014 for Stoke City.
7. Pelé is the only player to have won 3 World Cups..
8. Manchester United has won the English Premier League 20 times, Liverpool 18, and Arsenal 13..
9. The largest soccer stadium is in North Korea and it has a capacity of 114,000.
10. In 1893 Jack Southworth was sold from Blackburn Rovers to Everton for $500..
11. Sir Alex Ferguson is top of the table and he won 38 trophies at Manchester United..
12. It happened in 1930 in Uruguay and France won the first-ever soccer World Cup.
13. Manchester United sells the most soccer jerseys..
14. Real Madrid is currently the largest club as of 2021..
15. The English Football Association was formed in 1863.
16. Japanese soccer player Kazuyoshi Miura is the oldest soccer player at the age of 54..
17. More than 55% of soccer balls come from Sialkot, Pakistan..
18. Norway is the only football club that never lost a game against Brazil..
19. Joseph Hudson came up with the first whistle used in a soccer match.
20. Brazil has won the World Cups five times.
21. Out of the 21 World Cup tournaments, only eight countries claimed the FIFA World cup trophy..
22. Adidas introduced Telstar, the first World Cup ball with 12 black pentagonal panels and 20 white hexagonal panels..
23. Charles Goodyear produced a vulcanized rubber soccer ball in 1855..
24. Manchester United was the highest-earning football team from 2016 to 2017 with a total income of €676.3 million.
25. The Women’s World Cup or FIFA Women’s World cup was organized in 1991..
26. In 1895, Nettie Honeyball founded the British Ladies’ Football Clu.
27. In 2016, Cristiano Ronaldo became the third person to have a lifetime contract with Nike..
28. Ronaldo is Madrid’s highest scorer of all time.
29. Average soccer players usually run at about six miles per hour..
30. The 2018 FIFA World Cup Final is the most Watched Sporting Event Finale, played between France and Croatia..
31. The FIFA World Cup is the most-watched sports event in the world.
32. The history of the sport dates back to the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD)..
33. Goalkeepers League started wearing different colored jerseys in 1913..
34. Lee Todd officially owns the record for the fastest red card in association football history, 2 seconds..
35. The most fans to attend one football match took place in 1950 in Rio de Janeiro. A total of 199,854 people attended..
36. Football made its television debut in 1937, featuring Arsenal in England..
37. A football match in the Congo in 1998, ended in tragedy. A bolt of lightning killed an entire team, leaving the opponent unscratched.
38. Uruguay is the only World Cup champion not to attempt to defend their title four years later..
39. In the first-ever World Cup hosted in Uruguay, only France, Romania, Belgium, and Yugoslavia were able to make the trip from Europe..
40. The World Cup was designed to showcase the best professional football players in the world..
41. The British made association football popular in the early days..
42. The World Cup was designed to showcase the best professional football players in the world..
43. The British made association football popular in the early days..
44. Referees were introduced to the world of football in 1881..
45. Greenland has never had a FIFA-recognised team because they cannot grow grass..
46. Sheffield FC (1857) is the oldest football club still in existence..
47. Earlier, the bladders of footballs were made from pig bladders.
48. Pittsburgh is the only American city with three sports teams that wear the same colors..
49. After his jerseys were stolen from the visitors locker room when the team was on the road against the Orlando Magic, Jordan had to wear a No. 12 jersey..
50. At one point in August 1971, the Pittsburgh Pirates became the first professional team to field nine players who were either black or Latino. Coincidentally, this was the same year they won the World Series..
1. A Grand Slam final once finished in 34 minutes!.
2. Jimmy Connors has won the US Open on three different surfaces.
3. The first set of sisters to ever win Olympic gold medals in tennis were Venus and Serena Williams..
4. The loudest grunt, which reached 105 decibels, came from Maria Sharapova in 2009 during Wimbledon..
5. The tennis elbow is an inflammation of the tendons that join the forearm muscles on the outside of the elbow..
6. Tanking is a term in tennis for losing a match or “fixing” it for some benefit..
7. The golden cup given to the men’s winner dates back to 1887, while the trophy given to women, called the “salver,” dates back to 1864..
8. The Roland Garros Stadium, which hosts the French Open, is named after a French aviator –Ronald Garros.
9. Boris Becker is the youngest player (17) ever to win a Wimbledon title.
10. Goran Ivanisevic is the only Wimbledon winner whose name alternates consonants and vowels..
11. At Wimbledon, the grass is cut to a height of exactly 8 mm during the event..
12. Until 1975, three of the four Grand Slams – Wimbledon, the US Open, and the Australian Open – were played on grass..
13. Tennis balls were originally white. In 1986, yellow balls were first introduced at Wimbledon..
14. 1972 is the year when The Association of Tennis Professionals was formed..
15. Roger Federer leads all men’s tennis players in terms of the highest amount of career prize money. He had collected $129,946,683 U.S. dollars as of June 9, 2020..
16. Roger Federer has scored 11,365 aces to this day, placing him in the third spot on the list of most aces, while Ivo Karlovic tops the list with 13,599 aces..
17. Every year, 24 tons of strawberries are consumed during Wimbledon..
18. Rufus – a Harris Hawk – is stationed at Wimbledon to keep its sky clear of local pigeons..
19. Arthur Ashe was the first African American to win the US Open. He won the tournament for the first and the only time in 1968. .
20. Did you know that if the ball hits a player’s body or any part of their clothing before it lands, it is their opponent’s point (even if it would have gone out)?.
21. In 2007, the prize money for Wimbledon winners became equal for men and women. 1968 was the first-ever Wimbledon to offer prize money..
22. Germany’s Sabine Lisicki hit a serve 210 km/h—the fastest serve ever recorded in women’s tennis..
23. The fastest serve in men’s tennis came from Sam Groth at 263.44 km/h..
24. Don Budge is the only male player in tennis history to have won six consecutive Grand Slam singles titles..
25. The French Open is the only major tournament to not use a tiebreak in the final set for singles..
26. 1971 – the tiebreak was introduced in Wimbledon..
27. The tiebreaker was invented by James Van Alen in 1965..
28. The Davis Cup dates to 1900. It is an annual competition between men’s national teams..
29. The longest tennis match took 11 hours and 5 minutes to complete. It was played between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut..
30. Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament is also considered the most prestigious..
1. The player with the most scores in a career was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar..
2. Wang Zhizhi was the first Chinese player to compete in the NBA.
3. Kobe Bryant was the youngest player to start an NBA game.
4. Salt Lake City is the smallest city that has an NBA franchise.
5. Lynette Woodward was the first female Globetrotter basketball team player..
6. Cal Hubbard is the only member of the football and basketball hall of fame.
7. Slam dunks were illegal for almost nine years.
8. Michael Jordan has scored more playoff points than anyone else.
9. Basketball was played by using a soccer ball until 1929.
10. Only four players in the NBA have registered a quadruple double..
11. Women’s basketball was officially added as an Olympic medal sport during the 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics.
12. Los Angeles Lakers guard Jerry West’s silhouette is featured in the NBA Logo..
13. Basketball is the national sport of Lithuania.
14. The average distance an NBA player runs per game is around 2.5 miles..
15. NBA rules state that the cord basketball net should not be less than 30 threads and not more than 120 threads..
16. Since the 1936 Summer Olympics, the United States has only failed to win the gold for men’s basketball four times..
17. Sergei Belov is the first international player to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1992. .
18. The official rim height for NBA, WNBA, FIBA, and NCAA courts is set at 10 ft or 3.05 meters.
19. The official basketball size for women’s competitive basketball is size 6, having a circumference of 28.5 in or 72 cm..
20. The official basketball size for men’s competitive basketball is size 7, having a circumference of 29.5 in or 75 cm.
21. Gene Conley is the only player to win an NBA championship and a World Series..
22. Standing at 5’3″, Saperstein is considered to be the shortest male inductee of the Basketball Hall of Fame..
23. The Olympic basketball games were held outdoors, in modified tennis courts..
24. Prior to the founding of FIBA, basketball was under the purview of the International Amateur Handball Federation (IAHF)..
25. The league we now know as the NBA was originally called the Basketball Association of America (BAA) and was founded on June 6, 1946..
26. The first basketball game in Europe was arranged by Mel Rideout in Paris..
27. The first NBA national television contract was signed during 1953-1954..
28. NBA first adopted the shot clock during the 1954-1955 season..
29. Steals and blocks only became official (recorded) stats in the NBA starting from the 1973-1974 season.
30. The first three-point shot in the National Basketball Association (NBA) was made by Boston Celtics guard Chris Ford on October 12, 1979..
31. The American Basketball League (ABL) was the first organized professional basketball league to use the three-point line in 1961..
32. The American Basketball League (ABL) was the first organized professional basketball league to use the three-point line in 1961..
33. The first hoop was made from a peach basket..
34. Basketball was invented by International YMCA Training School (now Springfield College) Physical Education teacher James Naismith in 1891..
35. The first basketballs were colored brown.
36. Steve Young is a great-great-great-grandson of Brigham Young of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for whom Brigham Young University is named..
1. A player must not hit the shuttlecock twice.
2. A legal serve must be hit diagonally over the net and across the court..
3. Since its inclusion in the Olympics in 1992, Asian players have won a staggering 93 out of the 103 Olympic medals..
4. Lin Dan was the first player to win all nine major championships..
5. Professional doubles players are known to hit as many as 40-50 shots in about 20 seconds..
6. Indonesia and China have won 70% of all Badminton Federation events..
7. It is only permissible for players to serve from below the waist level..
8. The net that divides the badminton court cannot be touched by the players and their rackets must not touch it either..
9. The Thomas Cup, also known as the World Men’s Team Championships, was first held in 1948.
10. Even though the sport was introduced in the USA in the 1890s, it took almost six decades for badminton to gain popularity.
11. In an average international badminton match, the shuttle is hit more than 400 times..
12. Badminton is the national game of Indonesia..
13. The All England Open Badminton Championship is the world’s oldest badminton tournament and was first organized in 1898..
14. The width of the lines of the badminton court is 40 mm..
15. The weight of a racket should be about 85-90 grams, and never more than 100 grams..
16. Modern badminton rackets cannot be longer than 68 centimeters and wider than 23 centimeters..
17. The standard length of the string used to gut a badminton racket is ten meters long..
18. A mix of feathers from the right and left wings of goose make the shuttlecock’s movements unpredictable..
19. It is mentioned that the best feathers for a shuttlecock are sourced from the left wing of a goose..
20. Badminton is second only to soccer in its popularity. It is estimated that across the world over 220 million people play the sport..
21. The longest badminton rally stretched over four and a half minutes and ended after 256 shots..
22. The Guinness Record for playing the longest marathon badminton match is 25 hours 25 minutes and 44 seconds..
23. The shortest badminton match lasted only six minutes..
24. The first Olympic badminton match broadcasted on television was watched by 1.1 billion viewers..
25. Badminton was accepted as a full medal Olympic sport in 1992 for men’s and women’s singles as well as doubles matches..
26. Badminton was accepted as a full medal Olympic sport in 1992 for men’s and women’s singles as well as doubles matches..
27. The first official Badminton club was established in Bath, United Kingdom, in 1877..
28. Initially, the game was played with balls of wool and called ball badminton..
29. The shuttlecock is often referred to as the bird or birdie..
30. The shuttlecock used in a game of badminton weighs about five grams and is one of the lightest sports equipment..
31. The shuttlecock used in badminton gets its name from the back and forth motion in the game.
32. The shuttlecock is traditionally made with sixteen goose feathers..
33. Badminton is the fastest racket sport in the world, and shuttles can fly as fast as 320 kilometers per hour..
1. At the London 2012 Olympics, hockey was the 3rd most spectated sport..
2. August 29 is celebrated as National Sports Day in India as it is the birthday of Major Dhyan Chand..
3. In Olympics, India has won the hockey title maximum 8 times. The first Hockey World Cup was played in Barcelona in 1971..
4. India participated in the Olympics for the first time in 1928, Amsterdam Olympics..
5. All India Women’s Hockey Federation was formed in 1947..
6. Hockey was introduced for the first time at the Olympic Games in London in 1908.
7. The first international hockey match was played between Wales and Ireland at Raleigh on 26 June 1895..
8. Women’s hockey was included in the Olympics only in 1980.
9. Hockey is played by over 3 million people in over 100 different countries.
10. Modern day hockey was first played in Scotland in 1700.
11. Hockey is the second most played sport in the world (after football/soccer).
12. Men’s hockey has the fastest swing speed of any sport reaching approximately 103 mph.
13. Dhanraj Pillai is the only Indian to have played in 4 Olympics, 4 World Cups, 4 Champions Trophy and 4 Asian Games..
14. The Indian hockey team was the first Indian sports team to set foot in Australia/New Zealand (1928), Europe (1928) and Japan/USA (1932).
15. In 1928, the team won its first Olympic gold medal and India’s men’s team remained unbeaten in the Olympics until 1956, winning six gold medals..
16. In 1928, India became the first non-European country to join the International Hockey Federation (FIH)..